Friday 2 December 2011

Robocop



A classic piece of science fiction cinema from 1987.  This is a great film.  I loved it as a kid and I still love it today.  When I was younger I loved all the action, swearing and violence.  Back then it was just a sequence of action scenes strung together and I lapped it up happily.  Getting older I can see the subtleties in the film.  The philosophical implications of Robocop/Murphy, the satirism of news media and the indictment of corporate control.  I even think the special effects can hold their own today as well.   There are plenty of more modern films with CGI aplenty that don't look half as good as this film.  It has a nice and simple plot that it remains focused on throughout.

There are some films I loved as a child that I have watched since and been appalled by them, almost to a point of shame.  This film is most certainly not one of those.  This film is not even so much a piece of fond nostalgia.  I think this film still holds it own over two decades later and I got something new from this latest viewing of it.  I have to admit that I did suspect maybe this films quality may have been accidental, but that would be forgetting that this film was one of many that set the hallmark of such things to follow.  It's a well made piece of cinema, with a good script the likes of which are rare gems to treasured.

No comments:

Post a Comment