Wednesday 21 December 2011

Calvin and Hobbes


When I was about six or seven I went to a bring and buy or something similar and bought Calvin and Hobbes, The Lazy Sunday book which features a collection of the Sunday strips of Calvin and Hobbes.  Calvin and Hobbes was a syndicated daily comic strip that was written and drawn by Bill Waterson from November 18, 1985, to December 31, 1995.  It is a comic strip about a highly imaginative and disruptive child called Calvin, who's best friend is his stuffed Tiger, Hobbes.  Hobbes is just a stuffed toy to everyone bar Calvin and, for the most part, the reader.  I absolutely loved this comic strip when I read it.  I  poured over my book so much that I eventually caused it to disintegrate.  I have since collected all the strips in various collected editions.

When I was a child I loved the imagination and creativity of the strips and growing up I have found a deep philosophical introspective quality.  Repeat gags and concepts like Spaceman Spiff, The Snowmen, Rosalin, The Wagon,  Dinosaurs and so on, I found wonderful.  I have recently started reading the strips again and this time around I find myself identifying with parents perspective more consciously than I had before.  I do also, of course, find the strips funny and any appeal to my sense of humour will win my favours.

1 comment: