Thursday 24 November 2011

Trains


I wrote another movie review last night which I'll post on another occasion.  Today I had to go to London for an appointment and I was planning on writing on any aspect of the journey that I enjoyed.  I didn't end up enjoying the journey, the trains were running late which made me late.  It got me to thinking that as I've grown up the magic and wonder of a trip into London has been lost.  It is not that I have lost all my child-like wonder towards the world, it's just that it is less prevalent.  The joy I used to have has been swallowed by the extortionate ticket prices for a service that has been in decline during my lifetime.  Even London seems less wonderful the more familiar it has become.

When I was a child it was the trains I loved the most.  I enjoyed every train journey.  I remember spending a lot of time by the window staring out and watching the different scenery and landscapes roll past.  In the short distance from my home to London there is a wealth to see, especially to youth-filled eyes.  That visual aspect of train rides has stuck with me and I do love to appreciate a good view.  There are still occasions when I am on a train even now when I'll be staring out of the window, glimpse something interesting to look at and feel like a child again - briefly.  The magic may have left the trains, but it hasn't quite left what lies beyond those windows.

No comments:

Post a Comment