Wednesday 23 November 2011

Thor


For my first film review I shall be talking about Thor, because I watched it last night.  Thor represents to me a wave of films that promise something great but never really manages to deliver.  I do enjoy reading comic books, but I'm not overly familiar with the Marvel universe.  Thor is another in a long line of watch-able Marvel movies, that are fun viewing but not great films.  There was plenty of impressive special effects and thankfully the acting was from a satisfactory to a good standing.  The story line felt crammed though.  A lot was getting filled into the approximate two hours and I honestly don't think this was successfully achieved.  Thor's growth in the film seemed to happen effortlessly and I pretty much missed it.  It's actually one instance where I would have preferred more time being spent on fleshing out the love story within the film because it is an integral part of the plot and I don't think it got enough attention.  It is not thought provoking, it is not epic, it is not innovative.  This is an above-average action flick.

There is a lot I could pick holes in with this film, but that would almost be missing the point that it's a fun action film that's doing the best with its source material.  It is certainly visually stunning, something to gawp at mindlessly.  Unfortunately it's not as enjoyable as the Iron Man or Spiderman films were.  More along the lines of the Fantastic Four, a film which I don't love but seem to forgive and be able to enjoy more-so than others who have seen it.

I don't think I'm going to give things however many stars out of five or ten.

1 comment:

  1. I never got to watch this. Thanks for the review. The thing for me is, whenever there's a bad review, the more I want to see a film. haha. :)

    ReplyDelete