Monday 28 November 2011

Hellboy



Honestly, I do watch other films aside from comic book movies.  I do love Guillermo del Toro's films ever since seeing The Devils Backbone for the first time.  Hellboy isn't his best film, it has to be said, but it's still great fun.  The visuals, as you'd expect with del Toro, are amazingly imaginative and a joy to view.  Throw Ron Perlman into the mix and you have an evening of entertainment

After watching Daredevil I really had to wash my palette.  Hellboy was my choice.  What struck me in this latest viewing is how superb the pacing in the film works.  The story development from beginning to end is timed to perfection, even if some of the dialogue came across a little cheesy.  Some of Hellboy's puns were pretty cringe-worthy too.  I especially liked how the villainous Karl Kroenen character was depicted in the film.  The elegance and grace displayed throughout the film are really offset against the horror of what lies beneath his mask.  His appearance in several costumes through out the film and the detail in each also express a depth of artistry.

I actually found myself enjoying this a lot more this time around.  I think it is a nice set-up for the sequel, which I may review in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment