Tuesday 6 December 2011

2000 AD


I did mention in a previous article that I do enjoy reading comics.  My favourite comic to read is 2000 AD.  I started reading 2000 AD at around the age of 10, in the early 90's.  This was a period in the comics history regarded by some fans as being its low point.  I don't agree with this assessment.  2000 AD is an anthology comic with a wide variety of stories and is the original home of Judge Dredd.  Over the years I have collected issues, back issues and was even given loads of earlier copies from my eldest brother.  The old issues (or progs, as they are known) were a fantastic joy to flick through.  I was introduced to some brilliant characters like Nemesis and the original Rogue Trooper.  A wealth of talent has flowed through the pages of 2000 AD over the years and it was one 2000 AD serial that introduced me to the amazing talent of Alan Moore.

I did spend about five or so years not collecting the comic until realising that it being missing from my life was sad and unnecessary thing.  I now make sure I can buy a yearly subscription so I can get my dose of thrill power from the Mighty Tharg.  When people talk about comics I have the feeling they think more of superhero comics.  When I talk about comics I am talking about these marvellous strips coming out of Britain.

Even writing this article is making me pull them all out of their homes and start leafing through them on the floor again.

No comments:

Post a Comment